May is Teen Self-Esteem Month, so we’ve created this playlist of songs about the mix of self-doubt and self-creation that so many teens experience. You’ll find girls worrying about their self-image (“At Seventeen”) and boys worried about being masculine or smart enough (“High School Never Ends”). There are also the voices of their older selves, trying to reach back and encourage them (“Letter To Me” or “The Middle”): Yes, you will survive. It does get better!
- At Seventeen Janis Ian; Between The Lines (Columbia)
- Freckles Natasha Bedingfield; Pocketful Of Sunshine (Phonogenic/Epic)
- High School Never Ends Bowling For Soup; The Great Burrito Extortion Case (Jive)
- Letter To Me Brad Paisley; 5th Gear (Arista Nashville)
- Middle, The Jimmy Eat World; Jimmy Eat World (DreamWorks/SKG)
- Perfect Misfit Liz Phair; ST/Nancy Drew-Music From The Motion Picture (Bulletproof)
- Skeleton Song Mighty Mighty Bosstones; Pay Attention (Big Rig/IDJMG)
- Supernatural Superserious R.E.M.; Accelerate (Warner Bros.)
- Tied Together With A Smile Taylor Swift; Taylor Swift (Big Machine)
For more songs on this topic, see GreenBookofSongs.com® categories Ego: Pride & Self-Respect, Low Self-Esteem, Social Outcasts and Teenagers.