SongsAbout.com® is a database of ready-to-use playlists about holidays, current events and interesting topics of every kind! Lists are developed using the GreenBookofSongs.com® database, the world leader in classifying popular songs by subject or theme.
Posted on October 27th, 2012
Tags: Hurricanes, Natural Disasters, Storms
Categories: Current Events, Environment, Weather
- Back Water Blues Irma Thomas; Our New Orleans-C (Nonesuch)
- Hurricane Party James McMurtry; Just Us Kids (Lightning Rod)
- L’ouragon Beausoleil; Our New Orleans-C (Nonesuch)
- Safe Place From The Storm Michael Bolton; All That Matters (Columbia)
- Texas Flood Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble; Taste Of Texas-Songs ’Bout Texas By Texans-C (Columbia)
- Tryin’ to Reason With Hurricane Season Jimmy Buffett; A1A (MCA)
- Walking In A Hurricane John Fogerty; Blue Moon Swamp (Warner Bros.)
- Wasn’t That A Mighty Storm [Galveston 1900] Nanci Griffith; Other Voices, Too (A Trip Back To Bountiful) (Elektra)
For more songs on this subject, see GreenBookofSongs.com® categories Rain, Flood and Danger & Disaster: Hurricane Katrina.
Posted on May 1st, 2012
Tags: Mother's Day songs, Mothers' Day, songs about Mothers' Day
Categories: Emotions, Holidays, Love
It’s hard enough to be a mom in good times. These songs are dedicated to the mothers who brought their families through the tough times.
- Anything Jay-Z; Vol.3-Life & Times Of S. Carter (Roc-A-Fella/IDJMG)
- Coat Of Many Colors Dolly Parton; Super Hits (Columbia)
- Dear Mama 2Pac; Me Against The World (Interscope)
- One’s On The Way (Here In Topeka) Loretta Lynn; Greatest Hits Live (MCA)
- Rock And Roll Lullaby B.J. Thomas; Greatest Hits (Rhino)
- Son Of Hickory Holler’s Tramp O.C. Smith; Me And You (Columbia Spec. Prod.)
- Strong One, The Clint Black; Single-The Strong One (Equity)
For more songs on this topic, see GreenBookofSongs.com® categories Holidays: Mother’s Day, Holidays: Mother’s Day for Non-Traditional Families, and Family: Mothers.
Posted on March 1st, 2012
Tags: Feminism, Gender, Stereotypes, Women's History Month
Categories: History, Social Issues, Women
As culture wars rage during this campaign season, we thought Women’s History Month would be a good time for songs about gender stereotypes that define and confine, and the women who break through.
- Girls With Guitars Wynonna; Tell Me Why (MCA)
- I’m Gonna Be An Engineer Peggy Seeger; Period Pieces-Women’s Songs for Men And Women (Tradition)
- Keep Woman In Her Sphere Elizabeth Knight; Songs Of The Suffragettes (Folkways)
- Keep Young And Beautiful Annie Lennox; Diva (Arista)
- Not A Pretty Girl Ani DiFranco; So Much Shouting, So Much Laughter (Righteous Babe)
- When I Was A Boy Dar Williams; The Honesty Room (Razor & Tie)
- Woman In Chains Tears For Fears; The Seeds Of Love (Island Def Jam)
For more songs on this topic, visit GreenBookofSongs.com® categories Feminism, Gender Conflicts and Gender Stereotypes.
Posted on February 9th, 2012
Tags: Valentine's Day
Categories: Holidays, Love
Hard to choose just a few songs about love, because that’s what songwriters love to write about! But here’s a short list for Valentines Day.
- Any Time At All Beatles; Something New (Capitol)
- Feels Like Tonight Daughtry; Daughtry (RCA/RMG)
- Hey, Soul Sister Train; Save Me, San Francisco (Columbia)
- High James Blunt; Back To Bedlam (Atlantic)
- OMG Usher featuring Will.I.Am; Raymond v Raymond (LaFace/JLG)
- Share My Life Kem; Intimacy (Universal Motown/UMRG)
- You Belong With Me Taylor Swift; Fearless (Big Machine)
Looking for more? GreenBookofSongs.com® has dozens of Love categories!
Posted on February 6th, 2012
Tags: Black History Month
Categories: History, Holidays, School & Teaching, War
We’ve chosen a few songs about famous African-Americans for this Black History Month list:
- Frederick Douglass Frederick Douglass Kirkpatrick; Ballads Of Black America (Folkways)
- Harriet Tubman’s Ballad (Part 1) Woody Guthrie; My Dusty Road (Rounder)
- Harriet Tubman’s Ballad (Part 2) Woody Guthrie; My Dusty Road (Rounder)
- I Refuse To Stand (Tribute To Rosa Parks) Pat Grant; Incredible (Pat Grant)
- Jackie Robinson’s Legacy Phil Coley; Baseball Songs Sports Heroes-#2 (King Of The Road Music)
- Obama Song Michael Franti & Spearhead featuring SoliLLaquists Of Sound, Cherine Anderson & Anthony B; Single-Obama Song (Anti/Epitaph)
For many other ways to use music to teach Black History Month, see GreenBookofSongs.com® categories such as African-American, Brotherhood, Celebrities & Famous Names: American Heroes, Presidents: Barack Obama, Slavery and War: Civil War.
Posted on January 17th, 2012
Tags: Health, Movement, Physical Fitness, Sports
Categories: Current Events, Health, School & Teaching
January is Shape Up US Month! Here are a few songs to help you get moving.
- (I’m A) Road Runner Jr. Walker & The All Stars; Anthology (Motown)
- Bowling Song Asleep At The Wheel; Country Goes Raffi-C (Rounder)
- Calling All Movers Imagination Movers; Juice Box Heroes (Walt Disney)
- I Like To Run I Like To Jump David Mead; For The Kids Too-C (Nettwerk)
- Jump Van Halen; 1984 (Warner Bros.)
- New Workout Plan Kanye West; The College Dropout (Roc-A-Fella/Def Jam)
For more songs about exercise and activity, see GreenBookofSongs.com® categories such as Sports (various) and Running.
Posted on January 6th, 2012
Tags: Civil Rights, Martin Luther King
Categories: History, Holidays, Political Issues, School & Teaching, Social Issues
These songs will help Americans of all ages celebrate the legacy of Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Come By Here, Martin Luther King Kristin Lems; Imagine That! Songs For Creative Teachers (Carolsdatter)
- Dr. King Mason Jennings; Birds Flying Away (Bar/None)
- Dream, A Common; ST/Freedom Writers (Hollywood)
- Happy Birthday Martin Luther King Evan Belize; Songs Of A True Patriot (Evan Belize)
- King UB40; 1980-1983 (A&M)
- Like A King Ben Harper; Welcome To The Cruel World (Virgin)
- Up To The Mountain (MLK Song) Patty Griffin; Children Running Through (ATO)
- Why? (The King Of Love Is Dead) Nina Simone; Very Best Of Nina Simone-Sugar In My Bowl-1967-1972 (RCA)
For more songs on this and related topics, see GreenBookofSongs.com® categories Brotherhood, Celebrities & Famous Names: American Heroes and Politics: Social Injustice.
Posted on November 13th, 2011
Categories: Christmas, Family, History, Holidays, School & Teaching
Thanksgiving in songs? It has to include some history, some food, and of course, gratitude. All are represented below. Happy Thanksgiving!
- (I’m Gonna Eat) On Thanksgiving Day Laurie Berkner; Whaddaya Think Of That? (Razor & Tie)
- Blessed Martina McBride; Greatest Hits (RCA)
- My Mom’s Thanksgiving Dinner Children Of N.Y.P.S. 24; Songs For All Year Long (Folkways)
- Sailing To America Saxon; Crusader (Carrera)
- Thankful N’ Thoughtful Sly & The Family Stone; Fresh (Legacy)
- Thanksgiving The Stuffing; Single-Thanksgiving (EMA)
- Thanksgiving Song Dave Holiday Sylvester; Single-Thanksgiving Song (Jambox)
- Thanksgiving Song Jessica Klee; Single-Thanksgiving Song (Jessica Klee)
For more songs for Thanksgiving, see GreenBookofSongs.com® categories Holidays: Thanksgiving, Gratitude, Countries: America, History and Love: Friends & Family.
Posted on November 3rd, 2011
Tags: Veterans Day, War
Categories: Current Events, Holidays, Political Issues, School & Teaching, War
For 11/11/11, we suggest these great songs about the experience of veterans finding their place at home upon return. Remember to support as well as honor those who protected us!
- Brothers Under The Bridge Bruce Springsteen; 18 Tracks (Columbia)
- Hope Stephen Cochran; Single-Hope (Department Of Veterans Affairs)
- I Just Came Back From A War Darryl Worley; Hear And Now (903)
- My Dream Of The Big Parade Peerless Quartet with Henry Burr and Billy Murray; Single-My Dream Of The Big Parade (YouTube.com)
- Sarge Rick Lance; Home Free-A Tribute To American Veterans-C (CD Baby)
You’ll find many more songs on this topic in GreenBookofSongs.com categories Holidays: Memorial & Veterans Day.
Posted on October 17th, 2011
Tags: Occupy Wall Street, Protest, Social Movements
Categories: Current Events, History, Political Issues, School & Teaching, Social Issues, War
As Occupy Wall Street protests continue, we look back at the songs that grew from and sustained earlier social movements. You’ll find many more in our category Protest. Here’s a small sample:
- Bread And Roses Judy Collins; So Early In The Spring, The First 15 Years (Elektra)
- Eyes On The Prize Mavis Staples; We’ll Never Turn Back (Anti/Epitaph)
- Get Up, Stand Up Bob Marley & The Wailers; Songs Of Freedom (Tuff Gong)
- If I Had A Hammer (The Hammer Song) Peter, Paul & Mary; In Concert (Warner Bros.)
- Ohio Crosby, Stills & Nash; CSN (Atlantic)
- This Land Is Your Land Woody Guthrie; Woody Guthrie (Vanguard)
- War Edwin Starr; War & Peace (Motown)
- What’s Going On Marvin Gaye; What’s Going On (Motown)
Next Page »